Tuesday, September 2, 2008

TMI but I must share...

I mentioned before how much I love nursing-I do and I don't want to give it up for anything-Here is an example of how passionate, or crazy, I am. Please share with me if any of you out there have had an experience like this because I am kind of freaked out...
So I have sore nipples. Not just sore, but cracked, bleeding, so incredible painful that it is miserable (I did title this entry as TMI so don' t say I didn't warn you).
Liliana and I are a great team when it comes to nursing. She has a great latch and I am perfecting several holds: the football, the side lying and the cross cradle. It has become quite easy but it hasn't always been that way...The first couple of days were difficult and we didn't have the latch quite right hence, the state my nipples are currently in...( I have decided to not be shy about sharing information like this- it is part of the experience that I want to keep real and true)
So last night right after her bath and minutes before we had my neighbors and my dad's friend over for dinner I went to get Liliana dressed. She was just kickin' it in her crib checking out her surroundings and making cute little noises. She turned her head made a little cough and out came coagulated milk mixed with blood and a bloody piece of tissue. I was totally scared and freaked but realized the ONLY thing it could be was from feeding-yes from my nipple (I have never typed that word so many times before). I called the doctor and she agreed that is probably what it was. She is fine otherwise, eating, pooping, peeing, sleeping, temperature etc...
Seriously! Does this happen? What is strange is my feeling about it- I feel guilty. I feel bad that she had to ingest that and she so innocently coughed it up.
I continue to nurse b/c the pain is only at the beginning and then it feels fine (but it is excruciating at the beginning). I hear that they do heal even with continued nursing so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

We had a nice visit from my dad the last couple of days and are awaiting arrival of my mom tomorrow!
Last night our neighbors came over for dinner and they were a HUGE help in the kitchen- thank you Joe so much for your help. We have fantastic friends and neighbors who are being so kind and giving.

Liliana continues to sleep very well and has allowed me to sleep very well too. She is a fantastic baby so far- not fussy, great eater and sleeper and the cutest baby in the world.
I just need to learn to put her down once in a while...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh,

I know we talked on Sunday at your house about nursing Lilliana. I just remember being in so much pain when I nursed Ben. I went to see a lactation consultant and I was just sobbing it hurt so much but I was so determined to continue nursing. From my experience I can say it did get better. A couple of things they suggested to me were to always start on the less sore side, pump (if you have a breast pump) on the sore side. Don't give her the bottle but just store the milk. If you want a name of a lactation consultant I can give you one. I believe it will get better. It was really awful for me. I have to say nursing has always been one of my favorite things to do with all of my children. I nursed both ben and ava until they were 2 and I plan on nursing sara as long as I can. Anyway I can be of support to you so that you can continue nursing please let me know. Bryn

Anonymous said...

She is so cute! Does she look like Seth to you or am I just delusional? The nursing sounds tough. Hope you are resting and also taking care of yourself.

Wish we were closer. xo Jenn