Friday, August 22, 2008

Today's our due date!

Well I have my 40 week appointment today so I will update later as to where we stand with labor progression (I feel no signs of labor). I am up early again this morning (Chris' snoring) but couldn't fall back asleep because I was suddenly overtaken with thoughts on how I want to raise our baby and if I am crazy...
2 things triggered this: 1) While cleaning out closets yesterday a Schoolhouse Rock song came on my ipod (where it came from I am not sure). This morning I woke up singing "Interjections (Hey!) show excitement (Yow!) or emotion (Ouch!)." (I still can't get the song out of my head).
2) While walking last evening I was shocked and pleased to see a group of small(ish) children playing outside. 2 boys were running around playing with pool noodles as "swords" and two smaller children were pulling some sort of little cars by a cord (very retro). Why was I shocked? I guess I don't see that very often- I do see children riding bikes with their parents or weekend organized team sports at the elementary school (which I have a separate issue with due to the awards of team trophies just for participation- more on that in a separate post if necessary) but I just don't see children playing outside free and unrestrained like that very often. The moms were sitting on the porch with a glass of wine supervising (note to self, I may want to stroll by again and introduce myself).
Okay, so where am I going with all this? Let me re-group. My main goal for my baby is that she is happy (duh right?). I want her to be confident (something I seriously lacked as a child). Okay, we all want our children to be smart, happy, confident, successful etc...
My thoughts have strayed again- I will make this straight and to the point:
I can't stand all the electronics and videos and crap that is out there now. I am totally old school and love wooden blocks and chutes and ladders and playing outside and interacting with nature... Seriously, one magazine actually suggested that children can get a fair amount of exercise through video games and even better with the Wii Fit. Sickening!
Maybe I am feeling sentimental for the 70's, and maybe I can't shield my child from the progress of technology but will I harm her by encouraging her to read instead of watch endless videos? Will she be considered the group geek if we don't allow her to have a PS3? (is that latest I don't even know). Is this all useless worry? I assume it is...
What an unfocused go nowhere rant- I am tempted to delete this post entirely but I am not going to- I will re-visit this topic when I actually have the baby and am battling with plopping her in front of the TV to watch Baby Einstein so I can clean the kitchen or to take time to read her a chapter from Charlotte's Web or Pat the Bunny.
Good Grief...

No comments: